Andreas Jellinghaus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> from a first look at debian 2.0 i'm disappointed.  ok, everything is moved to
> glibc, and there are lots of new packages.  but where is the enhancement ?

If I recall correctly, the stated goals of this release where upgrade
to glibc 2.0, and various package-specific enhancements.

>  - with installing (n) dictionaries you are asked (n-1) time to select
>       the default one. simlimiar thing with programs who can view
>       <graphik format> (there are only 2 or 3 programs, but lot's of
>       graphik formats).

On my machines, I've dealt with the graphic format issue by eliminating
the read (so it always accepts the default).  Not pretty, but given
the current setup the question is largely meaningless anyways.

>  - windowmanmagers. what about nice looking default configurations ?

Define "nice looking"?  [I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying that
I don't know how to address this one.  I consider "enlightenment" to
be "nice looking", for example, but I'm also happy with 9wm.]

>  - pam login doesn't use pam. passwd doesn't use pam. telnet doesn't use it.
>       unless most programs are unseing pam, it's useless.

Not good.  [Sounds like a significant bug, too.]

>  - the default setting isn't very useable. ok, my reference is the new student
>    which heard of linux, and want's to install it side by side with win*.
>    maybe it's useable for sysadmins. but sysadmins can help themself, newbies
>    not. so a config should be fool proof ...

I'm not sure what you mean here.

>  - most programs try a  "whole configuration in postinst" method.
>    this is doesn't work in many cases : it's good for the sysadmin.
>    but often a newbie has a problem, and someone sais "try xxx".
>    so he installs xxx. but he can't config xxx, first he needs to read
>    the README's and manual, and then he can configure it.
>    even with nice config help, he first needs to read the manuals.
>    maybe xxx doesnt solve his problem at all.
>    or he only needs parts. cvs is an example : many people neither have a
>    local cvsroot, nor are they running a pserver.

I think (hope) that as apt gets deployed a lot of this will thrash out.

>  - sure, we know that dselect is not user friendly, but what is with all other
>    places ? one example : asking "do you want to make this the default
>    windowmanager" is not a good solution, nor is "a new windowmanager will
>    become (not) the default wm". the solution has two parts :
>    a) documentation "quick start - how to select your wm" and
>    b) windowmanager-config (i guess less that 15 lines of bash/dialog will
>    do the job).

> yes, debian has a lot of good features. but debian has several weak points,
> and these seem to be exactly the same points already present in bo.
> this worries me.

There are several weaknesses: (1) some improvements require coordinated
efforts across multiple packages. (2) the release management problem
we're trying to tackle is huge (and at some point we just have to punt,
unfortunately). (3) Issues of taste vary from person to person. (4) To
some degree, we're not a development effort, but a package management
and adminstration effort.

--
Raul