On Wed, 2010-04-28 at 21:44 +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 17:55:45 +0200
> "Hoefle Marco" <marco.hoe...@nanotronic.ch> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > my first multistrap test was successful, I like this approach more
>
> Thanks, but please include the version of multistrap used. (This is
> just one reason why bug reports are better than mailing list posts -
> the version is included automatically.) My tests will be done with
> multistrap 2.1.3 from Debian experimental and fixes will go into
> multistrap 2.1.4, also heading into experimental. (Things need to
> settle a bit more before I disturb 2.0.9 in unstable.)
I upgraded to multistrap version 2.1.3 and used the multsitrap config
you provided, see below.
I will file a bug, but first I need to know if I am doing something
wrong or if it is a bug :)

> > than the old emsandbox I used before.
> >
> > A few points I have:
> > - udev in grip squeeze (151-3em1) does not detect mtbblockx devices,
>
> (Seems to work on my Grip box... Have you tested the x86 package at
> the same version? If so, have you reported a bug against the Debian
> package?)
>
> > I replaced the udevd executables with an older version from another
> > embedded distro and it worked as expected. Thus I tried this:
> > [General]
> > arch=armel
> > directory=rootfs_unconfigured
> > cleanup=true
> > noauth=true
> > unpack=true
> > debootstrap=Grip
> > aptsources=GripSqueeze GripLenny Debian
>
> Problem 1:
>
> bootstrap is for packages that you use to build the rootfs.
> aptsources is for the sources you want listed inside the rootfs for
> runtime.
ok

> You won't get packages from GripLenny or Debian included in the initial
> rootfs unless you list those sections in debootstrap.
>
> (That option will be renamed to bootstrap or rootfs in future, support
> will be retained for the existing setting but I'll see about changing
> the docs for clarity.)
>
> The distinction probably wasn't clear in the early versions of
> multistrap. Please file a minor/wishlist bug so that I don't forget to
> add / clarify the documentation.
I fied on, number is 579626

> With that fixed, I get the version of udev you requested:
> Get: 3 http://ftp.ch.debian.org lenny/main udev 0.125-7+lenny3 [259kB]
>
> Selected version 0.17-29 (Debian:5.0.4/stable) for ftpd
> Selected version 3:20100214-1em1 (EmdebianGrip:1.1/testing) for iputils-ping
> Selected version 1:5.5p1-2em1 (EmdebianGrip:1.1/testing) for openssh-server
> Selected version 0.17-36em1 (EmdebianGrip:1.0.1/stable,
> EmdebianGrip:1.1/testing) for telnetd
> Selected version 0.125-7+lenny3 (Debian:5.0.4/stable) for udev
> Selected version 0.86-4em1 (EmdebianGrip:1.1/testing) for usbutils
>
> Problem 2: you don't specify a Grip section and you don't 'include' a
> conf file that does. This is where multistrap needs to improve the
> error reporting - please file a bug report against the Debian package
> - minor, asking for clearer error reporting in the --simulate option.
bug is 579627

> Note that it is *intentional* that mismatched values have no effect -
> it is useful in how more complex configurations can be used. As with
> other options, this is under review but would add a lot of code to fix.
> (It could be added to the --simulate output - in a "did you forget this
> bit" section with less code churn, I'll try that for 2.1.4 but file a
> bug so that I don't forget.)
>
> > I still get the squeeze version instead of the the lenny one
> > (0.125-7em1).
>
> Wrong config in bootstrap vs aptsources. See above.
>
> > -the ftpd package is missing in grip, thus I use the normal Debian
> > repository.
>
> That can be added. (In fact, I just have - it'll find it's way into
> Squeeze in due course.)
>
> > - I am configuring the generated multistrap fs with qemu-arm. I need
>
> Problem 3: Don't use qemu. Test locally - multistrap is
> architecture-neutral in terms of whether the config works or not.
> Override the architecture on the command line for tests. Then you can
> test the chroot too.
What are the commands? When I chroot into the unconfigured armel root fs
folder it complains that /bin/bash cannot be run.
It is not there and if it would it would be for armel not for i386.

> Problem 4: There was a bug in multistap which I'll fix in 2.1.4
> (experimental) where some Priority: required packages were omitted. You
> can solve this in the meantime by explicitly adding 'dash' or 'bash' to
> your GripSqueeze packages config.
>
> > DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive DEBCONF_NONINTERACTIVE_SEEN=true
> > LC_ALL=C LANGUAGE=C LANG=C dpkg --configure -a results in:
> >
> > Errors were encountered while processing:
> >  dash
> >  ifupdown
> >  grip-config
> >  bash
>
> That is Debian bug 556402 - ifupdown has the wrong dependencies.
>
> I'm going to look at trying to force the dependencies in the Emdebian
> repository but it's not a good fix.
If it is a ifupdown bug I think it is not worth to spend time on it,
I dont know about others but I could live with the bug.

> [...]
> that you don't get ifupdown unless you specifically require it.
>
> > and finally another configure -a succeeds with all packages. Would be
> > nice if one configure is enough.
>
> Apart from ifupdown, this would have happened with a sorted config and
> an explicit request for dash or bash.
>

> I'm seeing one error with base-files - not sure how to fix this because
> multistrap shouldn't generally go doing stuff to /etc/passwd (emsandbox
> got into trouble doing that).
> Setting up base-files (5.3em1) ...
> chown: invalid user: `root:root'
> dpkg: error processing base-files (--configure):
>  subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
>
> This can be solved using the "reinstall" config of the new multistrap
> (i.e. base-files is complaining that a user has not been created, fails
> and then it (magically) appears later.)
>
> Also, as grip-config is in Lenny (and cannot be removed from Lenny),
> I've avoided using GripLenny in my tests of the rest of the config. If
> there is a real bug in udev, it needs to be tested with the Debian
> package, reported to Debian and fixed.
>
> Adapted config: (Requires multistrap 2.1.3 or 2.1.4.)
>
> Simulate report (includes my command line overrides for testing):
> Bootstrap: debian, gripsqueeze
> Apt sources: debian, gripsqueeze
> Includes:
> Sources: http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/, http://www.emdebian.org/grip,
> http://www.emdebian.org/grip
> Packages: ftpd, udev, usbutils openssh-server telnetd dash udev
> Suites: lenny, lenny, sid
> Components: main, main, main
> reinstall: base-files
> arch: amd64
> dir: /tmp/multistrap/
> unpack: true
> no_authentication: 1
>
> conf file:
> (I had to change the debian mirror to get a fast enough download speed.)
>
> [General]
> arch=armel
> directory=
> cleanup=true
> noauth=true
> unpack=true
> debootstrap=GripSqueeze Debian
> aptsources=GripSqueeze Debian
>
> [GripSqueeze]
> packages=usbutils openssh-server iputils-ping telnetd dash udev
> source=http://www.emdebian.org/grip
> reinstall=base-files
> keyring=emdebian-archive-keyring
> suite=sid
>
> [GripLenny]
> packages=udev
> source=http://www.emdebian.org/grip
> keyring=emdebian-archive-keyring
> suite=lenny
>
> [Debian]
> packages=ftpd
> source=http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/
> keyring=debian-archive-keyring
> suite=lenny
>
> Thanks for the test - please report the bugs and test again using at
> least 2.1.3 from experimental or (ideally) once 2.1.4 appears in

I tested with 2.1.3, it cannot find packages which where there yesterday
using 2.0.9:

source=http://ftp.ch.debian.org/debian/
keyring=debian-archive-keyring
suite=lenny

hoe...@wks02-lin:/media/ext3_data/projects/haslerrail/emdebian_eval/multistrap_test/multistrap_grip$
 sudo multistrap -f grip-config
multistrap 2.1.3 using grip-config
Using foreign architecture: armel
multistrap building armel multistrap on 'i386'
Getting package lists: apt-get  -o Apt::Architecture=armel -o
Apt::Get::AllowUnauthenticated=true -o Apt::Get::Download-Only=true -o
Apt::Install-Recommends=false -o
Dir=/media/ext3_data/projects/haslerrail/emdebian_eval/multistrap_test/multistrap_grip/rootfs_unconfigured/
 -o
Dir::Etc=/media/ext3_data/projects/haslerrail/emdebian_eval/multistrap_test/multistrap_grip/rootfs_unconfigured/etc/apt/
 -o
Dir::Etc::SourceList=/media/ext3_data/projects/haslerrail/emdebian_eval/multistrap_test/multistrap_grip/rootfs_unconfigured/etc/apt/sources.list.d/multistrap.sources.list
 -o
Dir::State=/media/ext3_data/projects/haslerrail/emdebian_eval/multistrap_test/multistrap_grip/rootfs_unconfigured/var/lib/apt/
 -o
Dir::State::Status=/media/ext3_data/projects/haslerrail/emdebian_eval/multistrap_test/multistrap_grip/rootfs_unconfigured/var/lib/dpkg/status
 -o
Dir::Cache=/media/ext3_data/projects/haslerrail/emdebian_eval/multistrap_test/multistrap_grip/rootfs_unconfigured/var/cache/apt/
 update
Hit http://ftp.ch.debian.org lenny Release.gpg
Ign http://ftp.ch.debian.org lenny/main
Translation-en_US
Hit http://ftp.ch.debian.org lenny
Release
Ign http://ftp.ch.debian.org lenny/main
Packages/DiffIndex
Ign http://ftp.ch.debian.org lenny/main
Sources/DiffIndex
Hit http://ftp.ch.debian.org lenny/main
Packages
Hit http://ftp.ch.debian.org lenny/main Sources
Hit http://ftp.uk.debian.org lenny Release.gpg
Ign http://ftp.uk.debian.org lenny/main Translation-en_US
Hit http://ftp.uk.debian.org lenny Release
Ign http://ftp.uk.debian.org lenny/main Packages/DiffIndex
Ign http://ftp.uk.debian.org lenny/main Sources/DiffIndex
Hit http://www.emdebian.org sid Release.gpg
Ign http://www.emdebian.org sid/main Translation-en_US
Hit http://ftp.uk.debian.org lenny/main Packages
Hit http://www.emdebian.org sid Release
Ign http://www.emdebian.org sid/main Packages/DiffIndex
Hit http://ftp.uk.debian.org lenny/main Sources
Ign http://www.emdebian.org sid/main Sources/DiffIndex
Ign http://www.emdebian.org sid/main Packages
Ign http://www.emdebian.org sid/main Sources
Hit http://www.emdebian.org sid/main Packages
Hit http://www.emdebian.org sid/main Sources
Reading package lists... Done
apt-get --force-yes -y  -o Apt::Architecture=armel -o
[...]
 install  dash/sid debian-archive-keyring emdebian-archive-keyring ftpd/lenny
iputils-ping/sid openssh-server/sid telnetd/sid udev/lenny udev/sid usbutils/sid
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
E: Release 'sid' for 'dash' was not found
apt download failed. Exit value: 100