I was surprised today to find an SSH connection from my LAN to the
'Net surviving a power cycle of my router -- a laptop running sarge
with kernel 2.6 and iptables.

I have the following two rules first thing in the FORWARD chain:

  -A FORWARD -m conntrack --ctstate RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
  -A FORWARD -m conntrack --ctstate INVALID -j DROP

to me, this means that SYN packets may pass to the actual rules, and
packets belonging to a connection known to the router are accepted.
During the reboot, the router surely forgot about the existing
connections, so why can the SSH connection persist? Is there some
Linux magic going on?

 .''`.     martin f. krafft <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
`. `'`

consciousness: that annoying time between naps.