also sprach Rene Mayrhofer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2006.07.04.1013 +0200]:
> That must be connection pickup. At
> http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.net/iptables-tutorial.html
> search for "pickup".

Excellent pointer, and yet another reason why we should really be
looking for alternatives to the Linux kernel.

  The default, without the tcp-window-tracking patch, is to have
  this behaviour, and is not changeable.

So what's the point of iptables and statefulness in the end? It
keeps track of connections and lets packets belonging to established
connections passed, but if there's an ACK packet that doesn't belong
anywhere, iptables is kind enough to invite it to the club?

So then, if I run e.g. cups on 0.0.0.0 and used the firewall rules
to make sure that no external clients can connect to it (say,
because I was too lazy to modify cupsd.conf), an attacker just has
to send an ACK packet to the socket, iptables will throw open the
doors, and let the connection in?

Reminds me of Microsoft Bob, which would, after three invalid
password entries, ask you whether you wanted to change your
password.

Or is there some actual benefit I am overseeing? The FAQ does say
it's "after a failover" only, but no mention over how long.

So, NetBSD... one step closer...

 .''`.     martin f. krafft <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
`. `'`

"i never travel without my diary. one should always have something
 sensational to read on the train."
                                                        -- oscar wilde