On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 06:55:49PM +0100, Robert Waldner wrote:

> The problem is that as soon as ld.so.cache is gone, dpkg-deb stops working
> because it can't find libz.so.1 anymore. At the moment I don't have any
> idea on how to upgrade from stable (2.13-38) to testing (2.17-97). Any hints
> *greatly* appreciated.

Your analysis doesn't make much sense to me.  If libz.so.1 is on the
default search path (and it is, unless you've moved it), you don't
need ld.so.cache to exist to resolve it.  For things on the search
path, the cache only speeds up the lookup, it doesn't facilitate it.

If this weren't true, literally *nothing* would run, because most of
the world depends on finding libc.so.6 on path.

So, I'd recommend sorting out where your libz.so.1 has gone to, and
that should get you going again.

... Adam