On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 09:03:38PM -0700, Richard Laager wrote:
Getting back to ZFS and /etc/hostid... I would think that a
randomly-generated /etc/hostid is probably sufficient. Whether that's
done in the libc, spl, or zfs package makes no difference to me.

You still haven't explained why zfs doesn't just generate a uuid itself. There's a large body of work ensuring reasonable uniqueness for uuids, and there isn't a clear benefit to clinging to getuid. Even on solaris there's a big honkin' warning on the man page that it isn't guaranteed to be unique (IIRC, getuid on containers reflects the hardware the container is running on).
Mike Stone