On Wed, Feb 23, 2022 at 8:24 PM Andika Triwidada <and...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 24, 2022 at 10:58 AM Nathan Van Ymeren <nathan.v...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>

>> The relevant portion of /etc/network/interfaces is:
>>
>> iface eno1 inet6 static
>>         address 2604:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx::2/64
>>         gateway 2604:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx::1
>>
>> As far as I can tell from reading the debian wiki and whatever else,
>> it should work like this, but even ping6'ing the gateway gives "ping6:
>> connect: Network is unreachable".  I can ping the gateway on its
>> link-local (fe80) address, but that's all I can do.
>>
>> Please help!
>>

> Hi Nathan,
>
> I think the first important step is to ensure that the gateway pingable
> at its 2604:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx::1 address, both from your computer and from the
> internet.
>
> Regards,
> Andika

Sigh.

It seems that the missing piece of the puzzle was this:  You can't
just add a default route (apparently).  You have to first add the
route to a specific interface.  It's not clear to me if this is
universally true, or just a consequence of something specific to my
setup (the server in question has multiple NICs).

The tl;dr is that it's necessary for me to do the following in order:

# ip -6 route add blah:blah::1 dev eno1
# ip -6 route add default via blah:blah::1

where blah:blah::1/64 is the address my datacenter gave me for the v6
gateway router.

I wish this had been more clearly laid out in the umpteen different
wikis and tutorials I've tried to follow.