Thanks for that Matt
Couldn't be simpler, it worked a treat.

Is it possible to have a list of user that are allowed to send through the
server with the default being no.

Thanks for your help Pete King

"Matt Collier" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Tuesday 21 December 2004 13:50, Peter King wrote:
> Is it possible to set-up auth smtp using sendmail in debian?
>
> I have a mail server with sendmail installed (and openprotect).
>
> I would like to set-up authenticated smtp so that users can send email
> through this server by authenticating first.
>
> All the users have pop3 accounts on the server.
>
> How do I go about this.
>
> The server is Debian stable.

Yes. Assuming that the pop3 accounts are system accounts, it's very easy.
Install sasl-bin and some sasl modules:

apt-get install sasl-bin libsasl-modules-plain

and run sendmailconfig, which should detect the presense of sasl-bin and
enable smtp auth.
After sendmail reconfigures and reloads, connect to port 25 (presumably) and
issue a 'ehlo' and you should see what auth mechs are supported.