On Tue, Dec 26, 2023 at 11:27 PM Marc Haber <mh+debian-...@zugschlus.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> on my new notebook I am trying to do more administrative tasks in
> graphical tools to be able to answer beginners' questions in the unix
> user group. That also means package management, which I usually do with
> apt on the command line.
>
> KDE Discover seems to not quite the package management tool I am looking
> for. It only says that my Debian unstable offers like 2000 packages for
> installation (the notebook alone has 2400 packages installed), it says
> that the installation only has 240 packages installed. And it cannot
> find the firefox browser.
>
> (1) Am I holding KDE Discover wrong?

Hi Marc,

there is some work to be done to get KDE/discover run properly and
update all the software catalogues while recognizing your
sources.list.

This resulted in more MB to be downloaded for all my
repository-information - when using/checked with apt.

But I never installed software via KDE/discover - just displayed what
software is available.

Maybe, I can share my mini-howto when I am in front of my Debian system.

IIRC apt-config-xxx and packagekit needs to be adapted.

When I was using mobile network connection I disabled some settings in
apt-config-xxx to reduce the amount of (repository) data which is
required by KDE/discover to build the software-catalogues.

> (2) If KDE Discover is not what I am looking for, what is the
>     recommended way to do package management, install, deinstall,
>     configure, purge Debian packages from the Debian archive
>     on a KDE system?

/me relies on good old apt for software-upgrades.

BR,
-Sedat-