On Wed, Dec 13, 2023 at 10:18:40PM +0000, Dimitri John Ledkov wrote:
> At the moment the best options are:
>
> - rotate online signing key
> - build new shim with old signing key in vendorx (revoked ESL)
> - build new kernels with old signing key built-in revoked keyring
>
> This is to ensure that old shim & old kernel can boot or kexec new kernels.
> To ensure new shim cannot boot old kernels.
> To ensure that new kernels cannot kexec old kernels.
>
> This is revocation strategy used by Canonical Kernel Team for Ubuntu
> Kernels.
>
> There is no sbat for kernels yet (and/or nobody has yet started to use sbat
> for kernels).

Reading this summary also made me realize that if we do SBAT for kernels
and want to rely it, we also need to make kernels *check* SBAT so that
it is respected at kexec.

This can be done two ways:

- You do an SBAT self-check at startup to see if you are revoked
  yourself, which is what shim does

- You check the SBAT of the kernel you are about to kexec

I'd generally prefer the self-check I think because that also applies
if you boot kernels via UEFI directly or something.

ubuntu core developer                              i speak de, en