Hey Bastian!

On Wed, Dec 06, 2023 at 06:01:17PM +0100, Bastian Blank wrote:

>I would like do stop signing i386 kernels.
>
>- IA32 UEFI is basically non existent outside of the Apple world and
>  maybe some embedded stuff.
>- i386 lacks many of the microarchitectural fixes that creeped in during
>  the last years.  So those kernels are unsuitable for real world usage
>  of processors released in the last ten years.
>
>Install base of a IA32 EFI capable boot chain, as possible to see by
>popcon (via grub-efi-ia32-signed): 178
>
>Install base of a X64 EFI capable boot chain (via
>grub-efi-amd64-signed): 71743

ACK. We're heading towards deprecating i386 as a full architecture
anyway and just keeping it as a secondary arch for backwards
compatibility for old programs, Wine, games etc. So I think this makes
sense.

We should publicise this for users and be consistent for all the EFI
signed binaries - there's no point in signing i386 grub and fwupd or
having a signed shim if we don't have a signed kernel.

Agreed?

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK.                                st...@einval.com
< Aardvark> I dislike C++ to start with. C++11 just seems to be