On Sun, 10 Dec 2023 07:56:36 +0000 Stephan =?ISO-8859-
1?Q?Verb=FCcheln?= <verbuech...@posteo.de> wrote:

> - Is it safe to assume that other filesystems (like BTRFS) are not
> affected?
> - Does this cause filesystem corruption or only file corruption?
> - Does this affect metadata or only file contents?
> - Is there a way to detect corrupted files?
> - If metadata is not affected, is it safe to assume that all files
with
> a modification date older than the update are fine?
> - Does it help to shut down services (such as Apache) or the whole
> machine until the fix is available?

The bug appears to be triggered when an ->end_io handler returns a non-
zero value to iomap after a direct IO write.

It looks like the ext4 handler is the only one that returns non-zero in
kernel 6.1.64, so for now one can assume that only ext4 filesystems are
affected.

The bug corrupts file data during a direct write operation, so I would
also assume that files last modified before 6.1.64 was installed will
not be corrupted.

As far as I can tell, the corruption only affects file data (not
metadata) but perhaps someone with more kernel experience than me can
confirm.

Best regards,
Dale Richards