Hi ... we have about 30 pc at school that doesn't boot correctly from usb
devices, by now i'm doing network installs with partimage but in some
cases, wifi access only pc i don't know how to do it. In these i like to
install our own Live Debian based distro, Xarnoppix build up with
makeliveusbcd a very similar project but with diferent guidelines
regarding points 2 and 3 of Debian Live Initiative.

I think the recipe would be helpful when Debian Live allows usb boot, ...
it seems to work correctly in i386.

xarbox:~# grub-floppy /dev/fd0

xarbox:~# fdformat /dev/fd0

xarbox:~# mke2fs /dev/fd0

xarbox:~# mount -t ext2 /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0

xarbox:~# mkdir -p /media/floppy0/boot/grub

xarbox:~# touch /media/floppy0/boot/grub/{menu.lst,device.map}

xarbox:~# nano /media/floppy0/boot/grub/menu.lst

default 0
timeout 10
color cyan/blue white/blue

title Xarnoppix USB BOOT FLOPPY
kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0
initrd (hd0,0)/initrd.img

xarbox:~# nano /media/floppy0/boot/grub/device.map

(fd0) /dev/fd0
(hd0) /dev/sdb

# I have a SATA disk ( /dev/sda ) then USB device becomes /dev/sdb
xarbox:~# grub-install --root-directory=/media/floppy0 '(fd0)'

xarbox:~# umount /dev/fd0
xarbox:~# reboot

cu