Daniel Baumann wrote:

> Chris Lamb wrote:
> >  * Syslinux bootup issue - the boot template is displayed with the Debian
> >    logo but the the text is cut off:
> >
> >       "Press F1 for help, or ENTER to"

> we spoke very shortly about it on debconf; it's an issue in qemu,
> aurelien was going to look at syslinux if the solution is obvious (don't
> heard back from him, so I assume it is not)

I've filed this as #496869 against bochsbios on advice from Aurelien.

The issue can apparently affect real BIOS implementations too, so a fix in
syslinux might be preferable; but I have no idea. Perhaps we could move
discussion of this issue to that bug to keep the maintainer (and aurel32) in
the loop.

> >    2.  I've had a report of this issue appearing on a "first generation
> > Santa Rosa" (Intel-based) MacBook, with and without the refit bootloader.
[..]
> >    Are these the same issue, or should this MacBook issue be investigated
> >    seperately?
>
> i think this is most probably a different issue, yes.

Okay. I've asked the reporter to try a Webconverger disk (as it uses GRUB).
If this works, I will file a bug report and talk to upstream. I've also
mailed Julien Blache as he is rumoured to be knowledgable about MacBook
issues.

Presumably d-i would also break on these machines? From a cursory glance,
our syslinux configuration is not so different.

(Expect a short delay on this, as I am now on VAC for a few days)

Regards,

--
Chris Lamb, UK                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                                            GPG: 0x634F9A20