Hello Narcis,

I've done a few experiments now, based on the Bookworm GNOME image.

* In the bookworm images, the boot menu options are not present, because the live images are generated with a different tool, which generates the boot menu differently * Such boot menu could be added again, but (as mentioned in other mails) the keyboard selection should be added as well, which is not trivial (that's why it wasn't prevent in the buster live images) * I've done an experiment with 'locales-all'. This shows many languages in the GNOME welcome screen, however the language after the welcome screen closes is still English (I've tried French with azerty keyboard) and the French keyboard is the second keyboard in the list * If I manually add two options in the boot menu, as listed in [1] (locales=fr_FR.UTF-8 keyboard-layouts=fr), I get a correct configuration with language and keyboard setting * If additionally 'locales-all' is available, and in the welcome screen I select English + US keyboard, the language stays French, and the US keyboard layout is added as a second keyboard layout * In GNOME settings, a logout+relogin is required for the updated language to become activated (which isn't triggered by the welcome screen)
* Note: the welcome screen is only shown in the GNOME live image

So in summary the current state is:
* Language and keyboard selection can still be made, but require manual changes in the boot menu. The GNOME welcome screen will ask 2 superfluous questions -> not very user-friendly * The language selection can be added again in the boot menu, but without keyboard selection -> better, but still not good enough * The language selection in the GNOME welcome screen consists of one entry, even though many languages are available -> looks silly * If 'locales-all' is added, the language and keyboard selection can be made in the GNOME welcome screen, but it requires a logout + login before it is active. I have not measured the required increase in size -> not very intuitive

I would prefer to have some mirroring of the questions in the debian-installer (in the boot menu), but that requires some non-trivial work.

With kind regards,
Roland Clobus

[1] https://live-team.pages.debian.net/live-manual/html/live-manual/customizing-run-time-behaviours.en.html#539