El 18/2/24 a les 13:38, Roland Clobus ha escrit:
Hello Vladimir,

On 18/02/2024 11:49, Vladimir Smelhaus wrote:
Dne 18. 02. 24 v 11:04 Roland Clobus napsal(a):

Why do you need to have filesystem.squashfs in RAM? If you boot from a USB or DVD/CD-ROM medium, the filesystem.squashfs resides there, and there is no need to have a copy in RAM. After the live system has been booted, you can wipe all disks as you want.

Sorry, but that's not true.

When debian live boots, filesystem.squashfs (and possibly other .squashfs images) are mounted into loop devices and then an overlay filesystem is created from them. But the squashfs images still have to be accessible somewhere.

So if they are loaded into RAM beforehand, the whole system can work even if the boot device is disconnected. If debian live boots from a particular disk, you can't format that disk without toram, for example, because you would lose the filesystem.squashfs (and possibly others) from which the underlying loop devices are created.

I'm trying to understand your use case.

If I understand you correctly, you perform a live boot from the disk that you want to erase. And then (without 'toram') you can't format it, because you need access to the filesystem.squashfs file (which is then being removed)

I was assuming that you boot from a USB pen and that you keep the USB pen attached while wiping the local other disk(s) of the computer. In this scenario I see no need for 'toram' (apart from some file access).

Hi Roland; I've experienced the scenario with serious difficult to boot from external media (some BIOSes seem restricted), and need to assist someone remotely to format computer.

Sometimes I need to format a computer with this only way: Disassemble machine, extract internal storage, format it, and reassemble machine. After this, i deliver computer to user, and goes far from me. What if user needs to format in the future and I want to assist it remotely (or simply without disassembling again) ?

Here comes .ISO boot from installed GRUB.

--

Narcis Garcia

I'm using this dedicated address because personal addresses aren't masked enough at this mail public archive. Public archive administrator should remove and omit any @, dot and mailto combinations against automated addresses collectors.