Hi Steffen,

On Sun, 6 Sep 2020 at 18:32, Steffen Möller <steffen_moel...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Please kindly have a look at
>
> g...@salsa.debian.org:med-team/hnswlib.git /
> https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/hnswlib
>
> which is one of the  dependencies of the pigx-scrnaseq workflow.
>
> This package ships a Python module in a subdirectory. I failed to pass
> any "--dir" instructions to pybuild, so I was a bit creative and
> added/removed symlinks to ../debian. This seems to do the job. If anyone
> out there knows how to do this properly - much appreciated.

I came across this option of adding in "--sourcedirectory" in a random
package I was looking at, and applied the same fix to hnswlib as well - it
builds with passing autopkgtests.
This reduces the entire hand-crafted debian/rules file into a one-line
makefile - and I have pushed the same changes to the other package -
"survivor" where I had done the same sort of handcrafting.
Please take a look at my changes and let me know if it looks good.

Whilst the solution was simple, your hand-crafted rules file helped me get
deeper insights of how stuff is working exactly, else I usually relied on
debhelper to do it's magic. Thanks a lot for that :-)

Kind Regards,
Nilesh