> Gesendet: Montag, 08. Mai 2023 um 08:45 Uhr
> Von: "Charles Plessy" <ple...@debian.org>
> An: debian-med@lists.debian.org
> Betreff: Re: Nextflow - have just used it on our HPC cluster and liked it
>
> Hi Steffen and everybody,
>
> I also use Nextflow at work, and indeed, it makes it very easy to run a
> pipeline many times.  Also, Nextflow is a single Java executable, which
> makes it easy to deploy anywhere Java is already installed.
>
> You probably also saw the nf-core repository of modules and pipelines.
> I like the way they are organised and find them empowering.  The
> community is very nice too.
>
> BUT
>
> With my Debian background it is very hard for me to adapt to the conda /
> biocona / quay / galaxy ecosystem.  I just can not figure out who is
> responsible for what, no idea how long the whole thing will be
> supported, where is the source code used to build the the packages into
> Docker images in to Singularity images, etc.  Not to mention that the
> whole paradigm behind "one tool, one minimal image" deprives me from all
> the Unix tools that I use to enjoy on in a Debian context.  In bioconda
> you have no idea whether sed is from GNU of from busybox unless you try
> it or dig for a package recipe in GitHub...

I am struggling with conda environments, I must admit. This should be mostly
analogous to chroot environments, I keep thinking, but still ...

> NOT TO MENTION THAT
>
> Everybody expects that these images will stay forever and for free at
> the URL where they are, while I have not seen any evidence of an
> organisation promising that it will really happen for at least a
> decade...  Without these images and the receipes to create them
> (remember the singularity <- docker <- conda <- GitHub fragmentation),
> the hope that these pipelines provide reproducibility in the long term
> is wishful thiking.

I admit to care more about the data than the exact tools. Just rerun it with
whatever was proven to be superior.
The longevity of https://biocontainers.pro/ will basically determine about what
we shall expect and conversely our demands will shape what will be offered.

> SO
>
> Against the stream of minimising image size to the bone while processing
> terabytes of sequencing data, I thing that Debian Med images with all of
> our packages installed would be a useful alternative in many cases.

Yes - for the direct execution but also within images.

> I am already doing something along the lines on our HPC cluster to turn
> our packages into environment modules (lmod).
>
> https://github.com/oist/BioinfoUgrp/blob/master/DebianMedModules.md#creation-of-a-new-singularity-image
>
> The size of the images is a bit less than 8 GiB, and I make a new image
> at each point release.  Would there be some interest to make such images
> in a more official way ?

We could have our own Singularity Hub (https://singularityhub.github.io/).

@Olivier, Hervé, Matúš et al. - I would happily hear from you that we just do
not need anything like that.