Package: sponsorship-requests
Followup-For: Bug #1025642
Control: tags -1 moreinfo

Hallo Thomas,

here's a review on your package d11amp (upload #15, 2023-01-30 20:48)

- d/changelog:
  A initial upload should only have the line "Initial release. (Closes
#ITP-Bug)",
  nothing else

- d/control:
  - build dependencies (B-D) should only be versioned if the versioning is
required;
    There are at least one B-D which version is already fulfilled in oldstable,
    so the version can be dropped.
  - Vcs-{Git,Browse} is for where the Debian packaging is maintained, not for
the
    upstream repository. (See Policy ยง5.6.26)
    I recommend hosting the repository used for packaging on
    salsa.debian.org, preferrable in the debian group.
  - Standard-Version is out of date. (we have 4.6.2 now)
  - if your programm is an frontend to mpg123:
    - does it need to depend on it?
    - should it recommend it?
    (See Policy for the definition of Depends: and Recommends: and maybe
Suggests:)

- d/copyright
  - It is not recommended to have a more restrictive license for debian/
    than for upstream, as it might make upstreaming patches harder.
    Recommendation is to have BSD-2-Clause lso for debian/, if you are ok
    with that.

  - src/gui/default_theme.c is claimed as CC0, but license header of the
    files says BSD-2.

  - The manpage references as "see also" dmagnetic: I don't see that
    this is relevant to d11amp.

- is d/dirs really needed?

- d/metadata seems to be an extra file as well.

- src/gui/default_theme.c  says "THIS CODE WAS GENERATED BY THE
  PACK_DEFAULT_THEME TOOL", so this file is not the preferred source
  of modificiatin and should be rebuilt during package build time.

As you are upstream:
- Let me point you to https://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamGuide, in case you
  didn't know of that page.
- Please consider employing some build system; Custom makefiles are
  usually very fragile and I'd not recommend them.

--
Cheers,
tobi