Hi.

I'll reply to the DEP-14 issue while working on the others.

Am Donnerstag, dem 22.02.2024 um 22:58 +0100 schrieb Tobias Frost:
> > https://github.com/volkszaehler/vzlogger.git
> >
> > on branch debian-0.8.3-1.
>
> (There is no such branch on that repo, but a "debian" one.)

Sorry, forgot to merge that.

> Please see dep14 (https://dep-team.pages.debian.net/deps/dep14/) for
> recommendation how to layout the repository used for packaging, I'd
> even recommend to use an extra repository for the packaging.

I know about DEP-14 and actually tried it. I found it however very
inconvenient to use and I think this is because it is inappropriate for
the current situation.

The package is maintained in the upstream repository as a native
package (by me). This is necessary because Debian packages are built as
part of the upstream releases. So all packaging changes happen upstream
first. The changes that are later needed to turn an upstream native
release into a Debian release are few and won't change much over time.
So a patch makes sense IMHO.

This situation can change when vzlogger reaches stable (and as a result
reaches Raspbian). At that point maintaining a package in the upstream
repo is no longer necessary.

For now I would prefer to use the suggested release workflow (which I
am already using for libsml, where the situation is the same). I am
aware that the DEP-14 layout works well if upstream is not doing
package maintenance and I am not generally against it. My other current
ITP #1062335 is using it.

https://salsa.debian.org/debian-iot-team/tasmota-device-manager

Sincerely,
Joachim