Control: retitle -1 trader/7.20-2 -- simple game of interstellar trading
Control: tags -1 - moreinfo

Dear Tobias,

Thank you very much for your feedback on my RFS for Star Traders,
and apologies for not replying sooner -- it's been a bit of a crazy
week around here...

You (or anyone else) can see my latest Git tree at the following
URL; this tree reflects the changes I've made as a result of your
email:

  https://www.zap.org.au/git-browser/trader.git/tree/?h=with-debian
  git clone https://git.zap.org.au/git/trader.git -b with-debian

I do have a few questions and observations about your comments:

> d/control:
> - Please remove all versions from the versioned build depends that
>   are fulfiled already since oldstable, e.g gettext and automake.

Good catch!  This is what happens when one maintains a Debian
package outside the distro since 2011...

Given that the Git tag for package version 7.20-1 already exists
(and has been distributed!), I've released the new package as
7.20-2, with the entry for 7.20-1 removed as it has not been
uploaded to Debian.  I'm retitling this bug report to suit.  If you
prefer, I can close this RFS and open a new one.

You can now download the updated package by running:

  dget -x
https://ftp.zap.org.au/pub/debian/dists/zapgroup-sid/main/source/trader_7.20-2.dsc

> - Your VCS-Git link git:// is not using an encrypted link, but the
>   site supports https://. Please use https.

Done.

> d/copyright:
> - the directory lib/ has files which are not documented in
>   d/copyright; (They have a different license and copyright)
> - same for the m4 macros

Hmm.  The files (in lib and m4) that are not my own are mostly from
the Gnulib GNU Portability Library.  Rather tedious and quite a bit
of work, but I've updated the debian/copyright file to suit.

I find it interesting that you're the first Debian developer to pick
up on this: previous sponsors of the package were okay with it the
way it was.  Perhaps you're more thorough!  If it leads to a better
Debian package, I don't mind.

However, I note from section 2.3 of the Debian policy manual:

  Thus, the copyright information for files in the source package
  which are only part of its build process, such as autotools files,
  need not be included in /usr/share/doc/PACKAGE/copyright, because
  those files do not get installed into the binary package.

My reading of that suggests there is no need to include copyright
stanzas for files in the m4 directory.  Is this understanding
correct?

This is what I've added to debian/copyright -- is this okay?

  Files: lib/*
  Copyright: 1987-2024, Free Software Foundation, Inc.
  License: GPL-3+
  Comment:
   Some files in this directory (from the Gnulib GNU Portability Library)
   are licensed by the Free Software Foundation under LGPL-2.1+; other
   files are under GPL-2+.  When combined with the remaining files from the
   same Gnulib library, these inherit the overall GPL-3+ licence.

  Files:
   lib/obsolete-strings.c
   lib/xopen-source.h
  Copyright: 2018-2024, John Zaitseff <j.zaits...@zap.org.au>
  License: GPL-3+

> embedded code copies:
> - gnulib is packaged for Debian, any reason why you don't use the
>   packaged version?

The upstream release I make (in this case, trader-7.20.tar.xz)
includes the files from Gnulib.  And in all current cases, my
snapshot of Gnulib is *newer* than what is included in the gnulib
Debian package (currently 20240117+stable-1 in Debian Sid, but
20210102~ebaa53c-1 in Debian Bullseye/oldstable -- for Star Traders
7.20, my snapshot is from Tue Jan 30 17:07:32 2024 +0100).

I believe my code depends on the newer Gnulibs to compile.  But even
if it didn't, the upstream release *must* contain Gnulib as it is
compiled on distributions and operating systems where Gnulib is not
packaged.

Rerunning "gnulib-tool --update" as part of the build process is
possible, I suppose, but given that my snapshots are newer, and
there are API-related changes compared to the Debian oldstable and
stable snapshots of Gnulib, I'm not sure that it's worth the hassle
to even try using those Debian snapshots...

> - there are m4 macros from autoconf-archive. Please check if you
>   can use the ones from the package autoconf-archive.

Unfortunately, I can't.  Some of the M4 macros (particularly
m4/ax_compiler_vendor.m4) contain changes that I've submitted
upstream but have not yet been included.  Besides, the
autoconf-archive package does not seem to be part of Debian Sid
anymore.

> Please add some upstream metadata:
> https://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamMetadata

This one was new to me.  I've added a simple file, although the
fields are copies of what is in debian/control already:

  Repository: https://git.zap.org.au/data/git/trader.git
  Repository-Browse: https://www.zap.org.au/git-browser/trader.git/

I don't have a bug database or a separate bug submission URL
(Upstream-Contact from debian/copyright is what I ask people to
use), the documentation is the home page of the project, etc.  Happy
to receive suggestions as to what else should be in this file.

> d/changelog
> - d/changelog's purpose is to document changed to the packageing,
>   generaly not to document upstream changes [...]

You are, of course, correct.  As a Debian *user*, I do, however,
find a summary of the upstream changes to be quite helpful -- saves
one from having to go to a package's homepage to find a NEWS file
before upgrading!  So if possible, I'd like to continue to provide a
quick summary of upstream changes.

> - lintian findings:
> W: trader: groff-message troff:<standard input>:133: warning: macro 'mR' not
> defined [usr/share/man/man6/trader.6.gz:1]

Fixed as a patch to doc/trader.6.  I'll make a new upstream release
at some point incorporating this change -- once I have other things
(such as an updated translation) worthy of a release.

> I: trader source: public-upstream-key-not-minimal has 16 extra signature(s)
> for keyid 0D254111C4EE569B [debian/upstream/signing-key.asc]

Happy to solve this if I could but find instructions on how to
remove those extra signatures *without* modifying the underlying
key...

> I: trader source: vcs-field-uses-insecure-uri Git
> git://git.zap.org.au/data/git/trader.git -b with-debian

Fixed above.

> P: trader source: source-contains-autogenerated-gperf-data
> [lib/iconv_open-hpux.h]
> P: trader source: source-contains-autogenerated-gperf-data
> [lib/iconv_open-irix.h]
> P: trader source: source-contains-autogenerated-gperf-data
> [lib/iconv_open-osf.h]
> P: trader source: source-contains-autogenerated-gperf-data
> [lib/iconv_open-solaris.h]
> P: trader source: source-contains-autogenerated-gperf-data
> [lib/iconv_open-zos.h]

These files are required as gperf(1) is not easily available on all
systems supported by my upstream package.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.  I look forward to hearing
from you or from anyone else.

Yours truly,

John Zaitseff

--
John Zaitseff   ╭───╮   Email: j.zaits...@zap.org.au
The ZAP Group   │ Z │   GnuPG: 0x0D254111C4EE569B