On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 13:30:03 -0300
"andremachado" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The native-package-with-dash-version warning is still without solution. I read
> again the Debian Policy (my english skill is bare minimum) and still not find
> how to rename package and use
> debuild -rfakeroot -uc -us
> to correctly build package.
> Should I include version field in debian/control, while renaming source
> directory only php-java-bridge, diverging from the original real source file?
> The real source from site is a bz2 file. I expanded it to a temp dir for
> compiling.

You have to somehow put the original tree in a .orig.tar.gz. You have a
choice here, it's up to you. Basically you have to
ponder how easy it is for you to do it, and for other people to check
that you are really uploading the original source tree and have not
made unclear modifications (knowingly or not). The three basic options
are:
 - repack completely (tar -xj, then tar -cz). Time consuming, error
   prone, comparision has to be done on the unpacked source tree; I'd
   say you should not do that just for converting from bz2 to gz;
 - just bunzip and gzip. Simple, sensible. Comparision with upstream has
   to/can be done on the uncompressed tar, that's not so bad;
 - put the upstream tar.bz2 *into* a tar.gz, build-depend on bunzip and
   have your rules file unpack the source tree. You are really shipping
   the original upstream file, comparison can be done on it. You can't
   patch the source directly though, you need to use a build-time patch
   system to fiddle with upstream (which some see as the way to go
   anyway, depending on what your patches are for).

Your orig file has to have the right name:
<pkg>_<upstream.verstion>.orig.tar.gz. Your source directory must be
called <pkg>-<upstream.version>. They must both be in the same
directory, dpkg-buildpackage won't look around for them.

> The  configure-generated-file-in-source warning is there because source
> contains it.

Well you won't get rid of this warning then, it's OK. I believe you
should make sure any target that modifies this file saves the original,
and the clean target restores it.

> The package-contains-upstream-install-documentation is weird. I created a
> debian/docs file listing these files.

Well, probably you should not! The warning means you should not install
build instructions on the users systems. E.g., if there is an INSTALL
file in the source, you should NOT put it in debian/doc. This file is
useful for you, not for your users.

Regards, Thibaut.