On Sat, Jun 02, 2007 at 01:08:56AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Charles Plessy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > I am a bit confused by the libraries which exist in -xpm and -noxpm
> > flavors. Are there cases where it is recommended not to use the -xpm
> > one? Or should we build-depend on foo-xpm | foo-noxpm? Is it necessary
> > to strictly depend on the -noxpm one if it seems that the program does
> > not interact with xpm files?

> > I came to a point in which I often have to remove some packages in order
> > to build some of the source pacakges I have prepared.

> I believe this is just GD, isn't it?  I'm not sure why GD does that.
> Maybe because Xpm support requires linking in X libraries, which makes the
> dependency chain heavier?

Yes, that's the reason (and yes, GD's the only one I know of).

I find it an annoying split, since over its lifetime libgd has had correct
shlibs and reasonable -dev packages only about a quarter of the time, and I
don't think xpm is so heavy that we should be concerned about the size
impact on users' machines.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                   http://www.debian.org/