Hi,

On Tue, Apr 9, 2024 at 2:18 PM Stéphane Glondu <glo...@debian.org> wrote:

> Dear Bo,
>
> Le 08/04/2024 à 17:05, Bo YU a écrit :
> > I am looking for a sponsor for my package "bisect-ppx":
> > [...]
>
> I've reviewed the packaging and I have a few comments.
>
> Standards-Version is not the latest.
>
> Upstream copyright years are missing in debian/copyright.
>
> A .cma file is in a "OPT:" line in an .install.in file.

Done.
> I would not override dh_dwz nor dh_strip. My opinion is that what you
> are trying to fix are deficiencies of the toolchain that should be fixed
> there.
First to address dh_strip issue. From what I've researched. The issue
was raised by the static library generated from bisect_ppx did not
obey the standard static library name scheme. The dh_strip[0] will
strip the static library with `lib-*` prefix. But as we can observe
the building:
```
I: libbisect-ppx-ocaml-dev: unstripped-static-library
(bisect__Runtime.o) [usr/lib/ocaml/bisect_ppx/runtime/bisect.a]
I: libbisect-ppx-ocaml-dev: unstripped-static-library
(bisect_common.o) [usr/lib/ocaml/bisect_ppx/common/bisect_common.a]
I: libbisect-ppx-ocaml-dev: unstripped-static-library
(bisect_ppx__Exclude.o bisect_ppx__Exclude_lexer.o
bisect_ppx__Exclude_parser.o bisect_ppx
__Exclusions.o bisect_ppx__Instrument.o bisect_ppx__Register.o)
[usr/lib/ocaml/bisect_ppx/bisect_ppx.a]
```
In fact, the original solution is that I refer to this[1]. But I am
not sure if this is a toolchain issue or not, so I have reported this
to upstream[2] also. The workaround for this issue I could think of:
1. Keep those lintian messages here and open a reportbug to track the
issue until upstream fix the issue;
2. Use the solution like [1] as my previous post and open a reportbug
to track the issue until upstream fix the issue;
3. Wait to upstream to fix this issue;
4. Persuading the maintainers of debhelper to strip static library
with broader name scheme.But I think this is not a good wishlist.:)
Personally I prefer to option 2 still.

For dh_dwz issue. It seems that the issue will be fixed by passing
`--no-dwz-multifile` arg. In my understanding, there is two ELF
binaries on the debug package, so the no-mutlifile arg can assure
dropping `../.dwz/../.debug`.

[0]: https://github.com/Debian/debhelper/blob/master/dh_strip#L239C2-L244C27
[1]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2015/10/msg00027.html
[2]: https://github.com/aantron/bisect_ppx/issues/439

> It is not right to override source-contains-prebuilt-javascript-object
> in this case; you should filter the .js file out and make sure the
> package works without it. Or get the actual sources and build from them.
> Or find it in another Debian package. (These are just examples of how to
> tackle the issue.)
Okay, I repacked it by removing the prebuilt javascript file and put
its source code which pulled from upstream into debian/missing-sources
and then to get the file during the building.

> I am wondering about long-term maintainability of the manpage. I suppose
> you've generated the manpage from running the command with --help?
> Please make a rule to automatically generate it.

Done.

All commits I have pushed into the salsa [3] and mentor[4].

Thanks for your time again and please let me know any issues.

BR,
Bo

[3]: https://salsa.debian.org/ocaml-team/bisect-ppx
[4]: https://mentors.debian.net/package/bisect-ppx/