On Sat, Jul 15, 2006 at 07:50:42AM -0400, Charles Fry wrote:
>     2) It would be nice to have some further discussion on Steve's comment
>        regarding the relative merit of using rpath and /usr/lib/<package>
>        versus moving all shared libraries into /usr/lib.

Uh, that was *not* the recommendation that you were citing from policy, nor
was it the one I was suggesting should be overturned.

I was responding to the suggestion that rpath was inappropriate, but adding
your own directory to /etc/ld.so.conf would be ok.  It would not be ok;
there *is* no compelling reason for a package to add its own subdirectories
to /etc/ld.so.conf.  If the libraries are for public consumption, they
should be installed to /usr/lib like all the others and share the simple,
flat namespace cleanly; if they are not for public consumption, they should
be kept in their own subdirectory and a mechanism such as rpath,
LD_LIBRARY_PATH in a wrapper script, or dlopen()ing used instead.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                   http://www.debian.org/