Florian Weimer <f...@deneb.enyo.de> writes:

> But until these versions are explicitly described as invalid, shouldn't
> the comparison algorithm cover them, so that different implementations
> behave in the same way?

Oh, definitely.  And I believe the textual description does cover them;
there just aren't any examples.  So maybe we should add examples with a
note that hopefully no one is using constructs like that.

> Other corner cases are empty epochs and zero epochs.  And while not
> really being a corner case in the Policy, APT compares ~ and ~0 as equal
> at the end of a version string:

>   >>> apt_pkg.version_compare('1~', '1~0')
>   0

That's also a good thing to mention.  There are some oddities with -0 as a
Debian revision too, if I remember correctly.

Could someone open a bug against debian-policy for this so that we don't
lose track and can hash out some of these details?

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)              <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>