Simon McVittie <s...@debian.org> writes:

> I believe the intention is to automate this pattern, which a lot of
> packages with shared libraries are already using:

>     Source: dbus

>     Package: dbus
>      D-Bus is a message bus, used for sending messages between applications.
>      [the real Description goes into more detail here]
>      .
>      This package provides a fully-functional D-Bus system bus [etc.]

[...]

This is somewhat of an aside, but the order of those two paragraphs should
really be reversed, under the maxim that the most important information
about a package should go first due to possible truncation in the UI used
to view package descriptions (and also in the human tendency to only read
the first paragraph).

In other words, rather than:

>     Package: libdbus-1-3
>      D-Bus is a message bus, used for sending messages between applications.
>      [the real Description goes into more detail here]
>      .
>      This package provides the runtime library for use by applications.

I think we should prefer:

    Package: libdbus-1-3
     The runtime D-Bus library for use by applications.
     .

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)              <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>