Hi guys,

Stéphane Blondon <stephane.blon...@gmail.com> wrote (Mon, 4 Mar 2024 08:29:10
+0100):
> Hello,
>
> Le dim. 3 mars 2024 à 11:49, Holger Wansing <hwans...@mailbox.org> a écrit :
> > So, no problem with latest Sphinx version, it seems the integration in the
> > debian-policy package is the problem (aka debian/rules) ...
>
> Thank you for the search.
>
> I have two wild guesses based on broken symlink assumption:
>
> 1. By dh_auto_install
>
> buildd create symbolic links to the files (like theme.css) provided by
> python3-sphinx-rtd-theme:
> lrwxrwxrwx root/root         0 2024-02-24 12:39
> ./usr/share/doc/debian-policy/policy.html/_static/css/theme.css ->
> ../../../../../sphinx_rtd_theme/static/css/theme.css
> (found in the log file)
>
> Then the target dh_auto_install in debian/rules from debian_policy
> moves files (line 15):
> mv debian/tmp/* debian/debian-policy/
>
> The symlink is relative so it could be broken.

It appears to me that the target for that symlink
(../../../../../sphinx_rtd_theme/static/css/theme.css) is not existing
and therefore we get an empty file.

I did some testing with debuild, and changed debian/rules (line 4) like

-       dh $@ --with sphinxdoc
+       dh $@

and that way I get a valid html document with the new theme working !!!

(That is something of a revert of
https://salsa.debian.org/dbnpolicy/policy/-/commit/528ad4d79a76690eeb0504fd6c094a88ddb9739d
 )

Please note that I did not check for any other differences in the package
created that way compared to the latest version in the archive (debdiff).
An sbuild run was successful that way as well.

Seems there is something wrong in the debhelper / dh_sphinxdoc world
(or at least an incompatibility with read-the-doc themes) ...

But that's out of my skills

Applying above change could at least be a temporary way to get the policy
back in shape on the website ...

Holger

--
Holger Wansing <hwans...@mailbox.org>
PGP-Fingerprint: 496A C6E8 1442 4B34 8508  3529 59F1 87CA 156E B076