Envoyé de mon iPhone

> Le 24 déc. 2019 à 20:42, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
> <glaub...@physik.fu-berlin.de> a écrit :
>
> Hi!
Hi! Tanks for your answer.

>> On 12/24/19 2:04 PM, Bertrand Dekoninck wrote:
>> I’ve installed firmware-linux-nonfree_0.43 from Jessie
>
> You can just add the following line to your /etc/apt/sources.list:
>
> deb [arch=all] http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian unstable contrib non-free
>
> and then just install the firmware using apt. I wouldn't recommend using
> outdated firmware packages from Jessie unless they contain firmware not
> available in the newer package versions.

Great!
>> and now I’ve got X11 running with 3d (some colors are flipped as usual in
>> Kodi on ppc).
>> Is the firmware-ams-graphics broken in sid ? Overall, Mate is a lot more
>> sluggish on this
>> G5 than with Jessie on my Powerbook G4.
>
> I thought you installed the firmware package from Jessie?

Maybe I was confused. I thought the name of the package that ships the firmware
of my card was now firmware-amd-graphics in Sid, not firmware-linux-nonfree
anymore. I first installed firmware-amd-nonfree and encountered an error on X
startup. So I installed the Jessie's package instead. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

>> It shouldn’t. At least firefox works here more reliably on the G5. I’ll try
>> later
>> an install of GNUstep+Windowmaker, which I find lighter than Mate.
>
> I'm confused: First you said, Mate is sluggish on sid, then you say Firefox
> runs
> well on the G5.
 I was surprised that Firefox runs reliably (it doesn't on my PowerBook) even
ifvMate is sluggish. I've replaced Mate's default theme with an Arc one and it'
a little better now in Mate.

> Please clarify what is running where.
>
>> Also, Is there a way to boot osX with grub now ?
>
> I have not looked at this at all yet. I have to work on ofpathname first which
> will hopefully happen within the next days.
>
> I'm sorry for the slow progress, but at the moment there isn't really anyone
> helping
> me with these tasks, so progress can only happen when I find the time for it.

And I'm very glad you can take time for this. I don't have the skills to do
that. It took me a week to overcome the issues I've had with the booloader and
X11.

>> I've got a triple boot install : sid (with grub on /dev/sda2), osX and wheezy
>> (with yaboot on /dev/sdb2). But I can't boot sid with yaboot
>
> Well, yes, because Yaboot cannot handle modern ext4 partitions. That's why I
> recommend
> to refrain from using Yaboot for new installations.
>
>> and I can't boot osX with grub. I can't mount my sid ext4 partition in
>> wheezy either.
>
> The ext4 partition is most likely using modern 64-bit features not supported
> by the
> Wheezy kernel.
>
>> Are there some new options to the ext4 filesystem enabled in sid that aren't
>> available
>> in wheezy.
>
> There are. Not sure though whether this would completely block mounting the
> filesystem
> from an older kernel.
>
>> Can yaboot access to the kernel on the sid partition ?
>
> No. Yaboot cannot deal with a partition with a modern ext4 filesystem. You
> need to use
> ext2 for the kernel and initrd when you want to boot with Yaboot.
>
>> The grub partition doesn't appear in the apple openfirmware boot screen (the
>> one you
>> can access  pressing the alt key at startup). Is there a way to have it
>> there ?
>
> Yes. I have to work on ofpathname to make this happen, see:
>
>> https://github.com/ibm-power-utilities/powerpc-utils/issues/30

Good if it's possible. I can deal with an openfirmware boot command for now.
But not my son or daughter.

>> No progress on this.
I was talking on my side here.

> Well, because I haven't worked on it yet and noone else so far has been
> willing
> to step up adding support for PowerMac OF paths to the ofpathname script.
>
>> I also encountered two sudden power off of the machine.
>
> No idea what could have happened here.
>
>> Strange, and the grub partition is now mounted read-only because of the
>> crash.
>
> I guess you need to run an fsck on it.
>
>> I’ve tried to check the hfs filesystem but it fails.
>
> How did you do that.
umount /dev/sda2
fsck.hfs /dev/sda2

And then I had got an error.

>> I’ve used the rescue mode of the install media to restore it. But is it the
>> only> way to proceed ? What is the correct way to restore it ? Unmount, then
>> format it
>> as hfs, reinstall grub with grub-install ? I’m not very familiar with grub.
>
> You can't really use GRUB at the moment until I have fixed ofpathname unless
> you
> want to install GRUB completely manually [1].

The script and the hfsutils package provided by Roberto on power progress is
quite useful for now.

Thanks again for you time. I'm dealing with the install of ardour : I consider
its install mandatory to get rid of wheezy, because this computer is a part of
my home studio.
Cheers.