Subject: Re: X-Windows on PPC in Debian SID
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 10:49:01 +0000
From: Simon McVittie <s...@debian.org>
To: debian-de...@lists.debian.org

On Sun, 21 Jan 2024 at 17:14:11 -0700, Stan Johnson wrote:
> The bottom line is that there appears to be a dependency issue in Debian
> SID at the moment

You can't *necessarily* draw this conclusion from a failure to
upgrade. You are using powerpc, which is a "ports" architecture that is
not really part of the Debian release process any more:

    The last supported release for 32-bit PowerPC is Debian 8 ("jessie").
    — https://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/

For reference, Debian 8 "jessie" reached end-of-life in 2018.

powerpc enthusiasts continue to compile packages from the unstable (sid)
rolling release on powerpc, but "ports" architectures are not supported by
the Debian project as a whole. The mailing list for the big-endian powerpc
and ppc64 ports (and the little-endian ppc64el architecture, which *is*
supported) is debian-powerpc.

It is common for potentially large categories of packages to be temporarily
uninstallable in unstable, particularly in "ports" architectures, and you
cannot expect upgrades to go smoothly at all times. I would personally
suggest using an interactive apt user interface like aptitude to get a
better idea of what depends on what and why.

> that makes wdm (and other X-Windows packages such as
> the Xorg server) dependent on systemd, even if systemd is already
> installed, regardless of whether systemd is being used as the init

systemd is the default init system in Debian, and also provides the
default implementation of several other important systemd services
like logind.  If you have chosen not to use systemd, you can expect
that you will have to take steps to select other non-default packages
(for example dbus-x11 instead of dbus-user-session, and libpam-elogind
instead of libpam-systemd). apt will not necessarily be able to do this
automatically.

Trying this on amd64, it appears that the problem you encountering is
probably that libelogind, elogind's partial replacement for libsystemd,
does not appear to provide all of the functions required by the current
versions of important packages like procps: procps currently requires
libsystemd0 (>= 254), and libelogind only provides a replacement for
version 252. I've reported this libelogind limitation as a bug in
elogind.

    smcv