this is a very interesting coincidence. I've started trying a couple of days
a go to install Debian 12 on the same iMac.

In my case, I'm booting the netinst image from USB but the kernel crashes somewhere. The screen is not refreshed after a few kernel messages, so I was
not able to debug any further.

On the web I've found this project https://fienixppc.blogspot.com/ and I their suggestion about a video driver misconfiguration and a possible solution.

See https://fienixppc.blogspot.com/p/troubleshooting-of.html

None of the options, helped me. But I did not try to investigate more since
then. Perhaps you will have better luck :)

On 2024-01-23 14:54, Claudia Neumann wrote:
Hi all,
I have an iMac G5, PowerMac 12,1 PPC970FX, Platform: PowerMac 12,1
MacRISC4 Power Macinstosh, Memory 1GB+384MB.
I had installed Ubuntu 16.04.7 LTS and it was running fine. Now I need
newer libc and so on. So I wanted to install Debian 12 or even Debian
13 on this iMac.
Is that possible? I tried

debian-12.4.0-ppc64el-netinst.iso
but the iMac does not start from the DVD.
What can I do?
CU
Claudia

--