Mattia Rizzolo:
> On Thu, Dec 01, 2016 at 03:46:05PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > The key question for such a new process is: who will decide ?
> >
> > It is very tempting to model such a thing on our existing
> > constitutional structures.  For example, we could create a team like
> > DAM, whose job was to take (private) requests for
> > mediation/intervention, and who would eventually make some kind of
> > decision.
> >
> > But I would like to make a more radical suggestion.  We should make
> > these decision by juries, rather than committee.
> >
> > For each such dispute, we should pick a panel of randomly chosen DDs,
> > and have them decide (with a time limit).
>
> No randomness please.  Probably all bodies in Debian are either elected
> or appointed (by previously elected bodies).  We all know that there are
> DD with a known bad track at mediations which would be totally unfit for
> such a role.

I think random selection would be a nice idea to try.

Positions of power in Debian probably do not rotate enough for the
health of the project. The recent term limit added to the technical
committee is a move in the right direction, IMHO.

I believe most Debian project members could do well with
responsibilities—and they do when maintaining packages. Million of
people around the world trust us, a “random” body of developers, to take
care of their computers. One of the reason I can think of to explain
this trust is that we have a good set of guidelines of what developers
should be doing. Our users get a pretty consistent experience overall,
even while interacting with different project members.

In my view of Ian's proposal, the randomly selected panel would be given
a set of guidelines on how to make their decisions, a standard process
to come to an agreement, and the ability to consult external parties to
get outside looks.

When we reach the point where arbitration is needed, I'd rather take a
decision that will make some people unhappy for some time rather have no
decision and everyone unhappy forever.

--
Lunar                                .''`.
lu...@debian.org                    : :Ⓐ  :  # apt-get install anarchism