On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 03:03:11PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> On mer, 2008-04-02 at 12:04 -0500, Steve M. Robbins wrote:

> > So here are some questions, and I'd like to throw then out to the
> > wisdom of debian-python, too.
> >
> > 1.  When does the rtupdate script get run?  I assumed it will be run
> > upon first install of python so as to configure all the python-using
> > packages previously installed.  But that does not seem to be the case.
> > Should it be?  If not, how should I handle the situation where
> > libboost-python-dev is installed/configured prior to python being
> > installed?
>
> You need to run it by hand in the postinst.

Right: libboost-python-dev does run it by hand in the postinst.

In fact, so does the package libboost-dbg, which provides debug
versions of all the Boost libs.  However there is no reason for
libboost-dbg to depend on python.  This means I can't count on
pyversions being available, so it is possible to install libboost-dbg
without having the symlinks created.

I was hoping is that if python is subsequently installed, that python
itself would run the rtupdate scripts.  This doesn't seem to be the
case.  Should it be?  If not, how should I handle the situation where
libboost-dbg is installed/configured prior to python being installed?

To be concrete: if I install python, then libboost-dbg, I get the
proper symlinks created by the libboost-dbg postinst invocation of the
rtupdate script.  However, if I install first libboost-dbg then
python, the symlinks are not created.  But I think they ought to be.

Thanks,
-Steve

P.S. As you and Sune suggested, I'll change libboost-python-dev to
depend on python-dev.