On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 9:41 AM, Antoine Musso <has...@free.fr> wrote:
> Le 27/08/2014 10:13, Sandro Tosi a écrit :
> <snip>
>> Offline commits? how many time (for real..) you badly needed it? i
>> guess so  few that if you (for one time) just do a big commit instead
>> of a storm of micro commit the world wont stop
>
> As a side effect, that also mean you don't have to use a potentially
> lagged network connection when doing simple operations.  There is
> nothing I hate more than waiting for network when using the commands
> log, commit or blame.

I rarely need to use log, and I used to work on the svn repo on a 56k
lines no later than 2 years ago, so I know what means a slow network.
Still I was able to do quite a lot of work. would it be possible
having the whole history of packages in git? i highly doubt so :)

>> is there anything else so "attractive" about git?
>
> Cheap local branches which let you pill up work in progress patches /
> rewrite without having to keep several copy of the same svn repo.  The
> branches in git are just a name pointing to a commit in the tree.
>
> The stash, which let you save your uncommited changes and come back to
> them later (think of it as lightweight branches).  That is really nice
> when you have to interrupt your workflow, stash it, handle the
> interrupt, reapply your stash and resume work.
>
> Tags can be signed with gpg. They are a pointer to a commit just like
> branches, and hence don't force you to do a full copy to create a tag.
>
> Switching between branches is a breeze and does not need network access
> either.

I was referring to attractive features of git in regarding to Debian packaging

>> If we don't define *upfront* what are the problems we currently have
>> and that we want to solve, then we're just proposing a technical
>> exercise without a real gain. and I cant stress this point never
>> enough.
>
> I agree there, would be nice to list the problems with svn.  But I guess
> most of them are related to svn being a bad (and slow) CSV system.

well, let's first see the list of problems/features we have/want and
then let's talk later of the solutions to them, not the other way
around

Regards,