Proposal: the DPT will start adding a `python-` prefix to NEW source
packages names, unless the upstream project already contains it

AFAICT all other major languages ecosystems packaging teams use a
(semi?)mandatory tag to identify their source packages (results below
from a very quick look at Sources, top results only):

prefix: golang, rust, r, node, ruby, haskell, php, ocaml, python (on a
voluntary basis), and others
prefix+suffix: perl

At the beginning, I remember being in favor of the current status quo
in DPT, where each maintainer can choose to add `python-` if they feel
like it, or just use the upstream name.

Thru the years, i've grown more uncomfortable with this situation and
i think the fact we dont mandate a `python` prefix in the team source
packages names (and thus guiding the rest of the python packagers
within Debian towards a common style) is detrimental to Debian as a
whole, and we should change it.

My proposal as stated at the top is to start from now on to prepend
`python` to all NEW source packages in DPT, with the option to rename
existing packages at a later date.

What are other team members' opinions on this?

Regards,
--
Sandro "morph" Tosi
My website: http://sandrotosi.me/