Hi Carles (2024.02.26_00:00:48_+0000)
> The first one includes, in top_level.txt:
> debian
> ping3
>
> And the second one:
> build
> debian
> ping3
>
> Where "ping3" is the expected module. "debian" is there because of the
> debian/ directory (I'm super sure, and AFAIK should not be there!) and
> "build" is there on the second time since, I guess, it exists at that
> time.
>
> So, even in the package in testing, it contains "debian" which is wrong:

Yeah, that's wrong. We tried to stop this from happening a while ago,
but it doesn't appear to be working, here.
https://github.com/pypa/setuptools/pull/4001

I think you've hit the NOTE in
https://setuptools.pypa.io/en/latest/userguide/package_discovery.html#finding-simple-packages
If you (or ideally upstream) set "namespaces = false"
I think it'll behave correctly.

BTW, I see this package has patches-applied in git, so gbp can't work
with them. The team policy is to store patches-unapplied.  You can work
on the patches with git via gbp-pq.

Stefano

--
Stefano Rivera