On 21/07/09 at 18:20 +0900, Yasuhiro Araki wrote:
> Sure. Yes we can!  However, I agree to [2] upgrade ruby1.9_1.9.0.2 to
> ruby1.9_1.9.1.243.
>
> Because it reduce our maintenance resource.
> Ruby1.9.1 upstream team will stop support by after a half year of
> ruby.1.9.2 release.
> And they promise to provide ruby1.9.2 as ruby1.9.1 successor (binary
> compatible).
>
> If we select [1], we should support ruby1.9.1.deb after vanished by upstream.
> Actually, supporting ruby1.9.1 means supporting ruby1.9.2.

The fact that ruby1.9.0's support will end sooner (or ruby1.9.1's
support) is a bit pointless: we will have to support it during squeeze's
lifetime anyway. Also, having two (or more) versions at one point in
unstable doesn't mean that we will release squeeze with more than one
version.

Doing what you suggests reduces the maintainance of the ruby1.9 package,
but increases the one of the 200+ ruby libraries packaged in Debian.

> > With your plan ([2]), the new ruby1.9 package (using ruby 1.9.1) would
> > break all the existing libs named *-ruby1.9. Those libs would have to be
> > transitionned so that files are installed elsewhere (moving files from
> > /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.0 to /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1). Transitionning all those
> > libraries, and doing it again for ruby1.9.2 or 1.9.3 (when the API
> > changes) is going to be extremely painful. With the current amount of
> > manpower, it will probably take a few months before ruby libs are no longer
> > broken in unstable.
> >
> > With my plan ([1]) (ruby1.9.1 package providing /usr/lib/ruby1.9.1,
> > co-installable with ruby1.9(.0)), we can:
> > 1) provide ruby 1.9.1 to users who want to use it now (using gems and
> > such)
> > 2) avoid transitionning libs now, and wait until ruby-support is ready
> > (which will make future migrations easier)
>
> Sure. However, I believe "sid" user can hold his system to avoid
> destructive ruby1.9.deb environment change.

But then, users won't get 1.9.1 and will have to stay with 1.9.0 until
all the libs they use have transitionned.
--
| lu...@lucas-nussbaum.net   http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/ |
| jabber: lu...@nussbaum.fr             GPG: 1024D/023B3F4F |