Hi!

On Fri, 2023-08-18 at 08:07:44 -0300, Antonio Terceiro wrote:
> FWIW, I have been maintaining vagrant in Debian for several years.

BTW, thank you for having done that, it's been much appreciated!

> TL;DR: I will not be maintaining vagrant anymore.

> On Fri, Aug 18, 2023 at 02:56:28PM +0900, Kentaro HAYASHI wrote:
> > * What was the outcome of this action?

> > Plan A.
[…]

> > Plan B.
[…]

> On Fri, Aug 18, 2023 at 09:37:54AM +0000, gwili.stif...@easymailer.live wrote:
> > Plan C.
[…]

There's perhaps a:

Plan D.

- Package Vagrunt (https://github.com/vaagrunt/vagrunt) a fork of
  Vagrant, that is stated should remain free software. And as it does
  not have a CLA, if it gets several contributions it will be
  increasingly hard to relicense.
- Transition from vagrant to vagrunt via a transitional package.

(We use Vagrant at work, and I'm not planning on relying on a non-free
tool, so a fork would do, otherwise I'd have to look into alternatives
for us to switch to.)

> Hopefully, being burned a second time will teach me to not put my
> volunteer time in non-copyleft packages provided by a single
> corporation.

While it's certainly true that contributing into a project with
single-corp-control + non-copyleft has uncertain odds to take, at
least everyone is on the same footing. I think, as Lucas has mentioned,
the most problematic aspect in this kind of cases is where there are
both single-corp-control and a CLA, as that's what grants the possibility
of a relicense and this asymmetrical relationship, which could have
happened here as well even with a copyleft license. (Out of principle
I never sign CLAs for my volunteer work, with the exception of the one
for the FSF due to its nature and its assurances, but which I supposedly
rescinded some time ago anyway.)

Thanks,
Guillem