On Mon, Oct 16, 2023 at 08:25:30PM +0200, Norwid Behrnd wrote:
> Dear Antonio,
>
> Initially, package `ruby-gem` was assembled by `gem2deb` which is why I assume
> it were acceptable to retain a name reflecting the language of implementation
> in the name of the repository.  Meanwhile, the RFS on mentors provides a .deb
> which yields a package by name of `mdl` only.  The syntax engaged relies on
> the
> example of Debian's Policy Manual (section 7.6.2) to remove (if existing)
> earlier versions of the package on the fly with the elder name by a pattern of
>
> ```
> Provides: new_name
> Conflicts: old_name
> Replaces: old_name
> ```
>
> in file /debian/control.
>
> As far as currently understood, this lifts the need need to rename many
> files/the repository, or to submit the package for review as an entirely new
> one your suggestion would require.
>
> Do you think the package qualifies now as fit for upload?

Any new package, source or binary, requires a pass through NEW. i.e. if
you keep the source package name (ruby-mdl), but add a new binary
package (mdl), it has to go through NEW anyway.

IMO it's better to save everyone's time and do that a single time; this
is why I'm suggesting to just uploading a single new source package that
provides both the new binary and the transitional package to supersede
the old binary package.