Hi,

in the Debian Med team we dedicate the time before Christmas in a so
called "Advent bug squashing party" to bug fixing.  Every team member
simply picks bugs from our list of bugs no matter whether these are
"own" packages (in terms of the bug fixer is Uploader) or not.  Since
I tried to fix some Python3.12 related packages I was also searching
the list of Debian Science bugs[1] and found quite some easy to fix
RC bugs.

When stumbling about the bugs in critterding[2] I realised that the
"latest" beta which was released more than 10 years ago (so upstream
seems to be definitely dead) has two RC bugs while the version in
unstable depends on old toolkits (qt4, SDL 1.2) and thus need to be
ported sooner or later which will be the task of the Debian maintainer
(Gabriele is Uploader of this package and in CC) which I doubt
considering the last upload was in 2016.  This is just one example which
I stumbled upon.  IMHO we should remove this package from Debian since I
do not see any realistic chance to keep it.  This is just a suggestion -
if someone disagrees with it since there are some votes in popcon[3] I'm
fine with it, but there should be someone who actively cares for the
bugs in this package.

As I said this is just an example.  In my investigation I've found lots
of packages with easy to fix RC bugs - some simply by upgrading to the
latest upstream version.  Since I dedicate most of my time to Debian Med
and its preconditions I can't continue my bug hunting effort in Debian
Science in the same manner as I did the last week.  However, I think we
should agree as a team to some means to care for our team packages -
or spot some candidates for removal if we don't have the power to do
proper maintenance.

Kind regards
   Andreas.

[1]