On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 03:12:44PM -0600, Hhayes wrote:
> I have a Debian box running as a file server on a network with 50 users. So
(...)
> saved the file, resulting in a file that no other users can write to. Has
> anyone ever seen this before?

Ejem, yes, it's called UN*X :-)
You can try to settle it by using umask (as other's have suggested) but
users can defeat that. If you _really_ want to fix it, have a cronjob do
this (quick and dirty, could be _really_ improved)

DIR_TO_FIX=/home/groupX
GROUP=mygroup
PERM=g+rwX

find $DIR_TO_FIX -type f -o -type d | xargs chown $GROUP
# or chown -hR $GROUP $DIR_TO_FIX
find $DIR_TO_FIX -type f -o -type d | xargs chmod $PERM
# or chmod -hR $PERM $DIR_TO_FIX

Run it as frequently as you think it's necessary (daily, hourly, whatever)
and forewarn the users that this is programmed (so they do not get confused
when they see things changing while they are working with them)

Regards

Javi