On 2014-05-30 13:43, Alfie John wrote:
On Fri, May 30, 2014, at 10:24 PM, Michael Stone wrote:
On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 10:15:01PM +1000, Alfie John wrote:
>The public Debian mirrors seem like an obvious target for governments to
>MITM. I know that the MD5s are also published, but unless you're
>verifying them with third parties, what's stopping the MD5s being
>compromised too?

The cryptographic signatures that are validated automatically by apt.

What's stopping the attacker from serving a compromised apt?

How would you get the client's system to install it in the first place? (More specifically, how would you get the cryptographic signature to match your package, given a lack of access to any of the keys trusted by the client's system?)

There's something of a chicken and egg problem to your idea.

Regards,

Adam