On 1/06/2014 7:07 AM, Michael Gilbert wrote:
> That's an incredibly difficult political, rather than technical
> problem.  It's up to the entire ecosystem to move toward short-lived
> certificates, and that isn't happening any time soon.  All other
> existing solutions are simply "security theater".
>
> In the meantime, Google has decided to avoid those theatrics by
> clearly stating not to trust anything, and I personally respect that
> honesty.

If stapling can be made a compulsory feature for a cert AND this can be
fully verified by a DNS RR, then so long as the domain's DNS isn't
hijacked then it having normal expiry of certs isn't a problem.  The
life of the validation can be short with the life of the cert itself
still being 1 to 10 years.

So, you have a new cert with the ability to *require* stapling.  You
also require stapling responses to have a low TTL.  You create the
appropriate DNS RR to indicate these details.  Make sure your old cert
is revoked and that, consequently OCSP records reflect this.  And no, it
isn't perfect, but it is better than ignoring OCSP altogether.

Client browsers (or anything else that relies on the cert), will need to
check for the DNS RR record(s) to see that they match the cert provided
with the stapled proof of validity.  Granted, at this time, browsers
have no way to deal with this properly -- but that will change if and
when it is possible to include in the cert that it MUST be stapled (no
soft fails allowed).

Kind Regards