On Jul 3, 2014, at 11:52 AM, Michael Stone wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 03, 2014 at 11:05:17AM -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> I definitely agree there are legitimate concerns that using HTTPS on apt
>> mirrors would help, and people who suggest otherwise are out of date on what
>> the threats are.  I think the integrity of the package itself is not reason
>> enough to use HTTPS since the GPG signing is much more reliable for that
>> task.  I break it down into 4
>>
>> 1. package authenticity
>> (software can be modified while being downloaded)
>>
>> 2. repo availability
>> (internet services can be blocked by governments and companies)
>>
>> 3. package availability
>> (software security updates can be individually blocked)
>>
>> 4. who’s downloading what package (currently visible to anyone who can see
>> the network traffic, including open wifi, etc.)
>>

>> The current apt model covers #1 well, but only covers #2 and #3 with a two
>> week window (the expiration date on the repo metadata).  And it does not
>> cover #4 at all.
>
> HTTPS won't address #1 completely in the presence of mirrors, and debian
> doens't have the resources to serve all users without mirrors. It will not
> address #2. It may address #3, but less reliably than the current siutation.
> It may make #4 harder for certain scenarios, but not others (traffic analysis
> of specific host).
>
> Something like tor will be a better solution for #2, & #4 while the current
> system provides #1 & #3. (And also provides #2 for all practical purposes,
> given the length of the mirror list.)
>
> Mike Stone

You are correct that HTTPS would not entirely address #2, but it does improve
the situation over HTTP.  For example, an ISP, network operator, or government
could block an entire mirror or all mirrors by redirecting requests to their
own mirror which does not get updates.  That would be transparent to the user.
This would make for a two week block on all updates (until the repo data
expires).  Using Using HTTPS and/or Tor with an onion address makes that a lot
more difficult to do.  Just connecting to an HTTP mirror via Tor would not
prevent this.

But HTTP, HTTPS, and Tor are all in the same boat when all network traffic to
the mirrors are blocked.

.hc