On Sun, Dec 30, 2007 at 16:10:21 -0800, Towncat wrote:
> On dec. 31, 00:30, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 30, 2007 at 03:46:02 -0800, Towncat wrote:
> > > As just said in a previous post, I am using lenny and lately upgraded
> > > it. Firefox/Iceweasel fails to start since then:

[...]

> > > (gecko:14849): Pango-WARNING **: failed to create cairo scaled font,
> > > expect ugly output. the offending font is 'DejaVu Serif 12.798828125'
> > > Segmentation fault
> >
> > Try this:
> >
> > $ export MOZ_DISABLE_PANGO="true"
> > $ iceweasel -safe-mode

[...]

> Thanks, it did help. Actually, I didn't even need the -safe-mode
> switch.
>
> So what does (or does not, as the case is) pango do?

Pango is a library for laying out and rendering of text, with an
emphasis on internationalization. (quoted from http://www.pango.org/)

If you only read web pages in languages which are based on the Latin
alphabet then you don't need to use pango. Turning off pango is
sometimes even recommended as a means to speed up the HTML rendering of
fireweasel.

          Florian   |