On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 10:31:56PM -0400, Mark Carroll wrote:
> TBH, part of the problem for me was with apt. It would try to install
> packages I didn't have selected, and when I asked WTF dpkg was up to, I
> was told it was apt, and then when I'd switch to using dpkg-ftp instead
> the problem would go away. This happened a few times. Maybe it's something
> that's been fixed now, though - it's probably a year or two since I last
> tried.

AFAIK, apt only enforces Depends relationships, which is kind of
important...

> How does aptitude deal with alternative ways to satisfy dependencies? When
> dselect sees unfulfilled dependencies or conflicts, it shows me them and
> lets me sort them out as I please - I haven't worked out how to get
> similar behavior from aptitude yet. Maybe I should give it another try?

aptitude gives you a neat little tree of packages that could satisfy a
dependency including packages that Provide a virtual package,
alternatives and all the available versions of each.  IMHO, it's really
quite intuitive, especially compared to dselects `choose from this list
of packages, now!' approach.

-rob