dear debian users,

OK, here's the problem: I for the life of me can't connect to the online apt sources. dhcp IS finding the cards...and I CAN ping the net. I really WANT to use debian,,,,but things are beginning to look doubtful. I've configured apt sources in all the ways I can think, ftp, http, manually. Are the servers not responding to apt requests? I can point my browser (in windows or knoppix ) there. I'm just frustrated as heck

This is what is returned after all the timeouts:

"Apt Configuration

Cannot access security updates.

I cannot access the security updates on security.debian.org, so those updates will not be made available to you at this time. You may want to investigate this later.. Commented out entries for security.debian.org have been added to the bottom of /etc/apt/sources.list . The error message I received from apt was:

Failed to fetch

<http://security.debian.org/dists/stable/updates/main/binary-i386/packages>http://security.debian.org/dists/stable/updates/main/binary-i386/packages Could not connect to security.debian.org:80 (1.0.0.0), connection timed out Failed to fetch

<http://security.debian.org/dists/stable/updates/main/binary-i386/Release>http://security.debian.org/dists/stable/updates/main/binary-i386/Release Could not connect to security.debian.org:80 (1.0.0.0), connection

timed out : Couldn't stat source package list"

My hardware is: pentium 200, AND P3 800 (neither have worked). I've tried both stable and un-stable. Network cards are tulip based: linksys LNE100tx, and also tried the belkin desktop pci card. I use dsl, a router. Can't think of what else I can tell you.

If you can help me I'd really appreciate it.
Thank you.
Chris