Andrew Schulman wrote:
I'm thinking about trying Wine out on Debian. I've tried it out under

number of other distributions, and it's been a disaster for the most
part. However, I've heard a few good things about Debian's Wine being
very stable.

Any thoughts or recommendations before I dive into it? Most of our
Debian systems are running Sarge, but we just put Sid on a new box.

I struggled with Wine for a while, spending a lot of work to get a little success. Finally gave up and bought Crossover Office, which works easily and reliably. It was well worth the cost.

I've been using wine with some succes for some time alright -- I used to run some ("simple") games on it but now it's just for checking sites with IE (I'm not exactly a web developer or something but.. I sometimes try to write html+css+javascript and IE is known to fail often on (valid) html+css+javascript;
I'm tracking cvs from wine, as (finaly) some bugs regarding IE were fixed there;

Most programs need some tweaking to get them installed; http://www.frankscorner.org/ has many guidelines of how to set up programs in a fake windows

I suggest compiling wine from source! It's not like I love compiling so much, but wine is alpha software, and compiling it on your own machine gets it tuned best for your setup (though I guess the debian packages are in general better than those frequently-failing rpms out there)

HTH,

Joris