On Sun, 10 Nov 2002 12:25:57 +0000
Shri Shrikumar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> 1. How easy is it to set something up so a group of packages get
> automatically compiled (with some preset flags for optimization).

I wouldn't do that - some apps and drivers don't work anymore with
certain flags.You need to check that out first.

> Would compiling gcc speed up compiling ?
No - useing gcc 2.95 instead of 3.2 speeds it up.

> 3. How much minimum spare hard drive space would I need?

Depends on what you compile - mozilla uses about 800 mb of temp storage
for compiling.Openoffice is supposed to be around 2,5 gig.

> 3. Is it worth it ?

Not really.My gentoo isn't any faster than my debian.But to make up for
this I break it a lot.

If you feel the need to check it out yourself (like I did) go for
gentoo.It's real easy to install.Just do exactly what is in the
doc's.Going from scratch to kdebase is about 20 hrs. with a 900mhz duron
with 512 mb RAM and a 256 internet connection.If nothing goes wrong.

Prost,

Klaus