    Tick> Hello Debian Users List!, I seem to be having problems with
    Tick> Netscape 3.01 spawning zombie 'netstat' processes, and thus
    Tick> hanging.  I was wondering if anybody knows a fix for this.
    Tick> The only cause I can think of for this is that the Netscape
    Tick> coders forgot to do a 'wait' in the parent process.  If
    Tick> thats the case, then there's nothing I can do.

    Tick>       However, I don't recall this problem ever occuring
    Tick> before with other distributions.  So perhaps it's something
    Tick> else besides sloppy coding?  And also, I can sometimes get
    Tick> netscape to start.  So this sort of alludes to the idea that
    Tick> it's not Netscape's fault but something else.

I've seen this too.  I've found that if I run netscape from an xterm
that is started to NOT be a login shell, ('xterm +ls &') it works, but
if it is one, then netscape hangs with a zombie netstat, after it runs
some MIME tests

It won't start from my TkDesk toolbar, or from an fvwm2 menu.  It will
start from ~/.xsession, the same one that starts the fvwm2... It does
the same thing regardless of whether it's been installed with the
Debian installer.  I've watched it with tkps, and it runs a series of
programs from /var/lib/mime/tests, and then finally hangs with the
zombie netstat.

It may be environment dependant; I have not isolated the cause yet...
It seems to depend on where I start netscape from.

The /var/lib/mime/tests/* scripts are not the cause; none of them call
netstat.  Hmmm.  I'm stumped.

Karl M. Hegbloom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.inetarena.com/~karlheg
Portland, OR  USA